Kennard was established in 1869 when the Sioux City & Pacific Railroad was extended to that point. It was named for Thomas P. Kennard, the first Secretary of State for Nebraska. The town was incorporated in 1895.
Kennard is located at 41°28′27″N 96°12′13″W (41.474254, -96.203706). According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 0.30 square miles (0.78 km2), all of it land.
As of 2022, there were 385 people residing in the village.